In this section we will be adding various articles that we hope will help or be of interest to you so please check back regularly to keep up to date.



Can I Claim Tax Back for Wearing Work Uniform

Here at The Logo Centre we supply workwear and uniforms to hundreds of different types of business across all sectors and from the one man self-employed to the blue chip companies. A question we are often asked is can I claim back tax for my work clothing so we have put this small article together to help.

If you are required to wear a certain type of clothing during your work hours – whether that’s personalised workwear or more recognisable uniform such as public services. If  you cover your own costs for washing and small repairs you could be entitled to claim back £100s of tax for up to five years’ expenses.

Better yet, you can do this without consulting expensive firms or solicitors for help. Simply fill out a P87 form and do it yourself – for FREE.

There are a few requirements you’ll have to meet. We’ve outlined some of them below:

  • You must wear clothing which is recognisable as being a work uniform. This can be something as simple as a t shirt but it must be branded with your company’s name or logo, or a certain ‘dress code’ you must adhere to for work, and of course more recognisable uniforms like medical staff or the emergency services.
  •  If your employer insists you wear their company uniform during work hours or business activity.
  • You’re required to purchase, clean or replace it yourself. If you’re required to make small repairs (sewing on buttons, fixing zips – that kind of thing) that also counts.
  • If you have paid income tax in the year(s) you’re claiming back for.

One important thing to note is that if your employer washes your uniform, or provides the facilities to do so, or pays you for uniform maintenance – you’re not entitled to make a claim.

How do I claim uniform tax?

You can claim uniform tax for up to the previous five years, if you can prove you have been wearing a uniform that whole time. Simply fill in a P87 form on the website – and either submit it online or print it out and post. You’ll need to fill out one form per EACH YEAR of your claim.

You’ll be asked to submit the following information:

  • Employer’s name and address
  • Your occupation, job title and industry sector
  • Your National Insurance Number and PAYE reference
  • How you want to be paidOnce your claim has been processed, you’ll receive a letter explaining how much you’re entitled to and when and how the money will be paid. Just bear in mind it could take up to five weeks to process a claim.

Once you’ve made your first a claim, it will be easier to claim again in future (although after the first claim your tax code should be adjusted to accommodate uniform tax). If it isn’t, simply call HMRC on 0300 200 3300.

The amount you’re entitled to depends on the industry you work in. However, after your first claim your tax code should be adjusted so you shouldn’t have to claim a second time.

Click here to take you to GOV.UK web site for full details and to down load a P87 form and get started.